Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Varanasi - a photo essay

45 hours later I staggered off the train into the +45 degree heat. I was sweaty, ill and felt like half the woman I was before I started this journey. I was in Varanasi and I felt like death. The next week was a blur, surviving in a hazy existence. Electricity was intermittent at best, relief from the oppressive heat sought, but never found. A diet of yoghourt and rice persisted. A week of my own pain and suffering. These, though, are my photos of wonderful Varanasi.

A woman washes by the ghats


Young men swim playfully in the River Ganges

A traveling man rests by the ghats

A Sadhu cooks his supper

A man and his mango

Street life in Varanasi

Manikarnika Ghat, the main burning ghat and view from my balcony.

Man on pilgrimage, ghats of Varanasi

Man and his boat. He lives, sleeps, eats, and will probably die with his boat. Early morning on the River Ganges.

Man and his daughter, making yoghourt

Ghat life on the River Ganges

View from afar, the River Ganges and Varanasi

Funeral

A family picnic

Ruler of the streets, Cow in Varanasi

Man vs Bull

A hidden street

-Tossed Sallard-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

these photos are really incredible!

Kristin said...

Fantastic pics - Looks like you found it very inspiring!